Saturday, October 3, 2009

Who Am I?

A blog is a space in which a person can record their feelings, thoughts and emotions, similar to a personal diary or journal. However, unlike a personal diary a blog can be viewed, followed or “creeped” on by anyone with a computer and an internet connection. So anyone anywhere in the world can take time out of their day to read what you have to say about your lovely little life. The trick is to try and make it really interesting so that you can gather as many followers as possible and then you can feel all warm and fluffy inside. In my view it an extremely narcissistic exercise but that’s the way everyone seems today. However, I do understand that it can be a beneficial exercise and that there are thousands or even millions of blogs that are extremely important and have been helpful in some way to countless people.

Who Am I? So far I have established quite a negative persona, and if you are reading this and know me personally, or think you know me, this attitude may surprise you as I am always seen to have one of these J on my face. Consider this quote from Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry, "L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux". When I look at our world it makes me depressed, not happy. We keep ourselves busy with meaningless chatter, Fbook, casual flings and “maring”. I require a daily fix of music, tea and friendly people to keep me smiling. I am aware that my current pessimistic attitude is filtering through into my writing, but “I write what I like.” I recently spent a weekend at the beach in Kenton which was filled with both euphoria and melancholy and I have since earned such nicknames as “Captain Planet”, “Anti-Human” and “Lobster” because of my lovely sunburn. While at the beach I left my friends and spent some time alone wandering among the dunes and swimming in the sea, pondering my past and future, and I emerged back into civilization with a rather negative outlook on society in general. As my man Hunter said, “"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man". I just need a few days to return to a normal state of numb complacency. I must admit that writing this has already had a calming, cathartic effect on my tormented soul.

As our blog name suggests we will be treating this blog as a diary of our lives in little Grahamstown. As journalists we have been given permission to blog what we like, of course so long as we meet the assessment criteria, don’t step on any toes, submit it on time, make it “gleam” and so on. So as a blogger my aim is to try and keep everybody happy, including myself, while blogging what I like. I hope you enjoy, or at least appreciate, what I have to say. Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment