Friday, October 30, 2009

Gobbledy Gook, oh my Fook!

I'm constantly finding out that Rhodes offers so many subjects. Everyday I here of someone going a HAM (History and Appreciation of Music) lecture of Classical Civilizations. So when I heard of one of my friends going to a Gobbledy Gook lecture, I couldn't resisit the temptation for a new experience...
It was eerie and spooky, a massive lecture theatre with an odd looking wiry haired man, a distant relative of Albert Einstein I was told, stood with his back facing the audience, his hand poised to write with some chalk. There seemed to be a vacuum that created an echoey space, if you took a wrong step you could be sucked into the vortex which was the lecturn. "Use the Squeeze Theorom to find the Second Order Homogeneous Differential Equations of the
Tangent Plane Approximation" the 'clever guy' said.
Just like I don't trust any human with 11 fingers, the same goes for any word with more than 11 letters. I was highly suspect. Was this a capitalist brainwashing lecture, where subliminal messgaes get flashed through split second frames only to leave you thristing for a Coke at the end of the lecture? My ears pricked up, I wasn't going to be caught off guard. Some more brainwashing ensued, at one stage when the words consisted of 15 plus letters I even blocked my ears for fear of being hypnotised. It was an unsettling experience to say the least. Walking out the lecture I thought the worst was over, I walked out the building and glanced up at a sign "Mathematics Department", more than 11 letters, I quickly shot my eyes to the floor... shoe anthoer close call!

No comments:

Post a Comment